astigmatism [ =myopia?]

sibu

In informal spoken language, we can use the word "short-sightedness" as a synonym of "myopia". Is there an alternative word (without foreign roots) I could use to avoid "astigmatism"?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Astigmatism is quite different from "short-sightedness" / "myopia".

Could you please give a full sentence (and context) in which you would use "short-sightedness" / "myopia"? :thumbsup:

sibu

Astigmatism is quite different from "short-sightedness" / "myopia".

Could you please give a full sentence (and context) in which you would use "short-sightedness" / "myopia"? :thumbsup:
    This is really only about formal/informal language. As a Swiss, it is easier for me to remember "short-sightedness" than "myopia". So I was wondering if there is an alternative word for "astigmatism" too. There was no context, really.

Myridon

English - US
    Astigmatism is something that you don't specifically know you have unless it is diagnosed by a professional. There's not really a "common" word for it. My vision seems a little blurry.
    When I take my bifocals off, I can tell that close things and far things are blurry, but I can't tell if there's an additional problem.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    There are words for some conditions that cause astigmatism, such as keratectasia, but they tend to be specialized and are not used informally. There is no informal synonym for this condition. As Keith Bradford posted above, that's what it's called.

sibu

Astigmatism is something that you don't specifically know you have unless it is diagnosed by a professional. There's not really a "common" word for it. My vision seems a little blurry.
    When I take my bifocals off, I can tell that close things and far things are blurry, but I can't tell if there's an additional problem.
    Ok, thank you. In case the word "astigmatism" does not pop into my head in casual conversation, I'll try to work my way around it... "it's faulty vision due to an unevenly curved lens of the eye"...

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I first discovered that I had slight (1°) astigmatism when I saw two stars where only one should be. It's curable by a particularly expensive lens, without which I see a slight blur. Whether this is the term used in the USA I don't know; I live in France.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Having myopia is commonly called being "near sighted." Some people use "short sighted," but that can also mean "making poor decisions because you don't think things though."
    Having hyperopia is commonly called being "far sighted."

There is no common slang expression for astigmatism, though some people drop the a when they pronounce it ("stigmatism").

All these conditions are familiar to most people.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A glaring mistake. I've never come across it but if I were to I'd put it down to gross ignorance.;)
    I'd put it down to someone having heard the term and never having seen it in writing.

Optician: I'm afraid you have astigmatism, Mr Jones.
    Mr Jones to Mrs Jones: The eye-doctor told me I've got a stigmatism. Wonder what that is.

lingobingo

English - England
    If you're seeing double (at least in American English), you probably have a much worse problem than astigmatism.
    :thumbsup:
    As someone who has not only worn glasses since childhood and has an astigmatism (not to mention the cataracts), but also spent a week in hospital with double vision a few years ago, I can assure you that they're all different things.

london calling

UK English
    I'd put it down to someone having heard the term and never having seen it in writing.

Optician: I'm afraid you have astigmatism, Mr Jones.
    Mr Jones to Mrs Jones: The eye-doctor told me I've got a stigmatism. Wonder what that is.
    Still gross ignorance because the first thing I do if I don't understand something is look it up, not just keep using it as I think I heard it.;)

Myridon

English - US
    Still gross ignorance because the first thing I do if I don't understand something is look it up, not just keep using it as I think I heard it.;)
    How do you know when you don't understand something when you heard something that makes perfect sense? (Don't start throwing noranges at me.)

< Previous | Next >