asylum seekers never show up for their day in court, that it's a border-wide, 2,000-mile loophole.

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
704: Our Pulitzer-Winning Episode - This American Life

Molly O'Toole
President Trump talks about asylum itself as if it's fraud. He says it's a hoax, a big fat con job, that people come in with fake asylum claims, that asylum officers just let everyone through, and then asylum seekers never show up for their day in court, that it's a border-wide, 2,000-mile loophole. And it's true that most people do pass that first step with an asylum officer and enter the United States.

Q: The meaning for the red phrase. I have no idea why they never show up for their day? Because I think they have to show up the court then the official allowed to get in the States. Otherwise they have to stay in their land.

Thanks in advance!

• Loob

English UK
    The piece is suggesting that President Trump says these things.

According to the writer, President Trump says:
    (1) that asylum is a hoax
    (2) that it's a big fat con job
    (3) that people come in with fake asylum claims
    (4) that asylum officers just let everyone through, and then asylum seekers never show up for their day in court,
    (5) that it's a border-wide, 2,000-mile loophole.

If you're asking why Trump says these things, I'm afraid I can't help:(.

PS. I suppose the underlying suggestion in (4) is that people stay in the country illegally.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Evidently it refers to asylum seekers who are not detained until their court appearance. If they are allowed into the country to wait for the outcome of their application, some of them at least are going to just stay on as illegal immigrants (with no official permit to reside or work in the US), presumably living in the black economy. This isn't a language question.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Evidently it refers to asylum seekers who are not detained until their court appearance. If they are allowed into the country to wait for the outcome of their application, some of them at least are going to just stay on as illegal immigrants (with no official permit to reside or work in the US), presumably living in the black economy. This isn't a language question.
    Thanks a lot!

Vanloon

Hindi
    The piece is suggesting that President Trump says these things.

According to the writer, President Trump says:
    (1) that asylum is a hoax
    (2) that it's a big fat con job
    (3) that people come in with fake asylum claims
    (4) that asylum officers just let everyone through, and then asylum seekers never show up for their day in court,
    (5) that it's a border-wide, 2,000-mile loophole.

If you're asking why Trump says these things, I'm afraid I can't help:(.

PS. I suppose the underlying suggestion in (4) is that people stay in the country illegally.
    Oh, not I understand Thanks a lot!

kentix

English - U.S.
    They let them in right away and then say "you must come back to court on this day and tell us the full details of your case so we can make a final decision". But many don't come back. They disappear somewhere in the United States.

Vanloon

Hindi
    They let them in right away and then say "you must come back to court on this day and tell us the full details of your case so we can make a final decision". But many don't come back. They disappear somewhere in the United States.
    So, the court is in the USA?

Barque

Tamil
    It has to be, doesn't it? Why would, for example, a Mexican court hear whether a foreigner should be allowed to stay in the US or not?

< Previous | Next >