asymmetry between the sexes

< Previous | Next >

bosun

Banned
korean
The following is about the laughter differnce between men and women and the red parts are confusing to me. can you help me?

The asymmetry between the sexes starts early in life and seems to be cross cultural. The man as laughter-getter also turned up in an analysis of personal ads, in which Provine found that women generally look for partners with a sense of humour, which male advertisers generally claimed to have

• Gremrat

United States, English
    "Asymmetry" is the state of being uneven; this part is pointing out how the genders are different.

This second one is pretty awkwardly phrased, but it's basically saying that the people who studied the ads found that men are usually the ones who get laughed at, not who do the laughing.

Finally, this last part means that men who advertised in these personal ads often said they had a sense of humor.

(I'm not really fond of these "gender-difference" surveys... they're usually a lot of bunk people read to assure themselves they're masculine or feminine. But that's just my opinion, and I've always acted masculine for a woman anyway.)

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    asymmetry = a lack of similarity
    Therefore, the sentence is about the lack of similarity between men and women

man as laughter-getter ?!? I have never heard this before and it sounds very strange: perhaps it means "man as humorous or funny"

personal ads = personal advertisements are where people who are single and looking for a girlfriend/boyfriend/partner advertise themselves, for example: "I am a tall blonde woman who loves music, art and parties, and I am looking for a great guy with a sense of humour to share my life with"

which male advertisers generally claimed to have = refers to the sense of humour mentioned earlier in the sentence, that is - most men who advertise in personal advertisements say they are funny by nature

< Previous | Next >