At a moment's notice

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Please, is this phrase the same as "at short notice"?

"That normally involves letting women with small children work flexible hours, not requiring them to relocate or travel at a moment's notice..."

Thx!
 
  • VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Artrella said:
    Please, is this phrase the same as "at short notice"?

    "That normally involves letting women with small children work flexible hours, not requiring them to relocate or travel at a moment's notice..."
    Yes. (Although I'm not sure "at" is the preposition used with "short notice") Usually I hear "on short notice". What do you think?

    Other expressions:
    At a moment's notice
    On short notice
    Suddenly
    At the drop of a hat

    Hmmm, I'll try to think of more.
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina

    at short notice
    UK (US on short notice)
    only a short time before something happens:
    I can't cancel my arrangements at such short notice.

    (from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
    Thank you Venus!! Here is the explanation of "at" and "on"... you know we are taught the BrE... :D


    Thank you Benjy!! Super ultra arch short notice!!! :thumbsup:
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Artrella said:
    Please, is this phrase the same as "at short notice"?

    "That normally involves letting women with small children work flexible hours, not requiring them to relocate or travel at a moment's notice..."

    Thx!
    Yes Art GF;
    Here we say 'at a moment's notice'...Meaning..
    I can't just drop whatever I am doing instantaneously..(and be at your every beck and call...:D )

    in the spir of a moment..
    right this instant...
    in the blink of an eye...
    in a heartbeat...

    te gato;)
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    te gato said:
    Yes Art GF;
    Here we say 'at a moment's notice'...Meaning..
    I can't just drop whatever I am doing instantaneously..(and be at your every beck and call...:D )

    in the spir of a moment..
    right this instant...
    in the blink of an eye...
    in a heartbeat...

    te gato;)

    GF :p Thx!! Now .... little question... isn't it "in the spur of the moment"... :D

    See? you are typing in the spur of the moment and see what happens... :eek:

    However, if sb called me on the phone and told me "come here, take the plane right now"... I would pack my things in the spur of the moment...mmm ;)
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Artrella said:
    GF :p Thx!! Now .... little question... isn't it "in the spur of the moment"... :D

    See? you are typing in the spur of the moment and see what happens... :eek:

    However, if sb called me on the phone and told me "come here, take the plane right now"... I would pack my things in the spur of the moment...mmm ;)
    GF;
    jajajajajajaja..
    I would like to know..right this instant!! who put the letters 'u' and 'i' so close together in the key-board...ooopppss.:eek:
    'come here':D
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top