At a pit stop a day's journey

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
At a pit stop a day's journey from Caracas, they discussed their prospects.
(Jon Lee Anderson; Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life)

It seems to me like there's something missing, is there?

Thanks.

• GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    Personally I don't think so, because the "a days journey" refers to the fact that they are a day away from Caracas and doesn't refer to the pit stop, the only thing that I might add is a comma after "pit stop" to make the middle section a subordinate clause:

At a pit stop, a day's journey from Caracas, they discussed their prospects.

I hope this helps :)

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Or does it simply mean 'they stopped and there was one day left till they would get to Caracas'?

owlman5

English-US
    I can't see anything missing here, SuprunP. They were somewhere where they made a pit stop and discussed their prospects. Anderson could have mentioned where they were when they made the pit stop, but he didn't. I don't think it's necessary. Let's see what others think. What do you think is missing?

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you GMF1991 and owlman5!

I've just noticed what I initially missed :) Quite a silly oversight.

Last edited:

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    Or does it simply mean 'they stopped and there was one day left till they would get to Caracas'?
    That could also be true, however I was unsure whether they were travelling to or from Caracas...

Either way, I don't think anything is strictly needed for this sentence, what I said was merely a suggestion;
    :)

< Previous | Next >