at a wedding, to ask a bride and a groom whether they accept each other as their partners

< Previous | Next >

Eat

Japanese
At a wedding, there's a moment where someone asks a bride and a groom whether they accept each other as their partners?

What is this person called? And what is this whole thing called in English?

• lapdwicks

Sinhala
    At a wedding, there's a moment where someone asks a bride and a groom whether they accept each other as their partners?

What is this person called? And what is this whole thing called in English?
    2. It is called as the exchange of vows.

1. But I'm not sure whether there is a special word for the person who conducts it. We normally call him as "the marriage registrar" and the Christians and Catholics use the word "father".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ... and the Christians and Catholics use the word "father".
    This is very confusing. (i) Catholics are usually considered to be Christians (ii) Only Catholics use the term "father" to indicate a priest; other sects have other terms.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Only Catholics use the term "father" to indicate a priest; other sects have other terms.
    I suppose High Anglicans also use the term?

You can use the modifier officiating to signify the person's role and then add the description of the person: officiating priest/minister/pastor/clergyman.

Added: I suppose you could say officiant, but that's a rather unusual word.

Last edited:

JustKate

Either "officiant" or "celebrant" work as a non-religious way to refer to the person who conducts the ceremony. "Priest" or "father" works for Catholics and some Anglicans; "minister" works for all other Christian denominations, I think. But other religions use other terms, e.g. "rabbi" for Jews.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    And at least in the US, not all wedding ceremonies are conducted by any kind of religious official. A civil official, such as a judge or a justice of the peace, may also conduct the ceremony (I think that ship captains, mayors, governors, and the US president are also authorized to do so).

< Previous | Next >