At an X-ray - take off


Senior Member
Hello. What does a doctor say if you go for an X-ray and he wants you to take off just what you are wearing on the upper part of your body, e.g. your T-shirt and sweater, but not your trousers. Is there a special phrase which is used in English? Thanks.
  • Biffo

    Senior Member
    English - England
    I think they would say,
    "Take off your top." or
    "Take off everything from your top." or
    "Take off everything above the waist."


    Senior Member
    British English
    "Please take off your shirt/top (etc.) but leave your trousers on." Sometimes a doctor will use a phrase such as 'remove just your upper garments'.

    George French

    Senior Member
    English - UK
    And then there is "strip to the waist". (By convention this is taking the clothes off above the waist. :rolleyes:)


    Does anyone still use this one??

    Enquiring Mind

    Senior Member
    English - the Queen's
    And very informally (but a nurse could say it), in BE we do a lot of "popping" for "taking" in this context:
    "Would you like to pop your shoes/trousers/coat/glasses/wig on/off?"
    < Previous | Next >