at anything less than a flat-out run

jasminasul

Spanish Andalusia
Hello.
I'm translating The Last Giant and I can't make head or tails of this sentence.

Context: The boy has been away from home for three years and is yearning to see his father, so he almost runs all the way from the docks to his ancestral home.

He gained the top level of the Citadel in less time than it took to think about it, but it seemed to him an age and he nearly threw himself through the front gate of the wall surrounding the central plaza. He could not have made the trip at anything less than a flat out run if his very life had depended upon it.

He couldn't have reached the house more quickly if his life had depended on it?
Or he didn't care for the consequences of running so fast?

So confused.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I'm not surprised you are confused - it needs translating into English!

As I understand it: "Even if his life had depended on it, he would not have been able to make such a flat-out run.", i.e. he ran faster that he would have run had his life depended upon it.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think it's not written correctly. It really makes no sense. I think it should say:

He could not have made the trip at any more of a flat out run if his very life had depended upon it.

Because of his eagerness to get home he was running as fast as he possibly could. Even if (theoretically) his life was in danger, he couldn't have run faster than that.

< Previous | Next >