at/by/on the side of the road

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    That car doesn't seem to be on the side of the road, but on the verge of the road which isn't the actual road. Apart from that, I have a slight preference for 'on the side of the road' and I'd definitely say 'on the left/right hand side'.
    But that's just for parked cars. I seem to favour at for other situations.
    A woman and two children were standing at the side of the road.
    It'll be interesting to see the other replies. :)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Since that car appears to be not actually on the road itself, but on the verge, I'd go for "by the side of the road" :)

heypresto

English - England
    I think I'd say 'at the side of the road'. Or possibly 'on the road'. But not 'by' in this instance.

If you knew the name of the road or street, you could describe the car as being parked 'in (eg) Acacia Avenue'.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'd say that the car is parked "in the street" (as opposed to "in a garage" or "in a car park").

I think it's hardly worth mentioning that it's parked on one side of the street, rather than in the middle of the road or on the pavement.

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you.

I think it's hardly worth mentioning that it's parked on one side of the street, rather than in the middle of the road or on the pavement.
    What if it's the "Describe a picture" section of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing test, in which you are required to describe the picture
    in as much detail as you can?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Describe a picture" section of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing test, in which you are required to describe the picture in as much detail as you can
    Aha! That is what we call "context". I might add that the car is parked in a parking space, on the left-hand side of a tree-lined city street, etc.

takashi0930

Japanese
    I might add that the car is parked in a parking space, on the left-hand side of a tree-lined city street, etc.
    Thank you, but if you had to say 'a car is parked "at", "by, or "on" (the side of the road)' about the second picture, which one would you choose?

Is the car in the test picture on the road? Is it a road or a street?
    Is that a question for me? (If so, I can't answer how it is called in English because I'm not a native speaker.) Also, it's not an actual test picture.

I don't know the name either. It's a random picture I found on the Internet.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >