At Dawn , at dusk

gayyyyk

Russian
Hello! Can we say “at the dawn” , “at the dusk” , meaning a particular dusk or dawn ? Or it its the same as “at night” and we can’t say “at the night” ?or we it is possible to say “at the night” ? :)

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello. "At the dawn" is possible if it's part of a larger phrase, but such a use would be rare: They awoke at the dawn of the third day and....

If it isn't part of some unusual longer phrase, it is not normal to use "at the dawn/dusk". I don't think I've ever heard or read "at the night" in any text or conversation.

gayyyyk

Russian
    Hello. "At the dawn" is possible if it's part of a larger phrase, but such a use would be rare: They awoke at the dawn of the third day and....

If it isn't part of some unusual longer phrase, it is not normal to use "at the dawn/dusk". I don't think I've ever heard or read "at the night" in any text or conversation.
    Thanks ! But is it ok to say “ today at night” ? Or “at night” means that something often happens ?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. "At night" means something happens at night. There is no indication whether it happens often or it only happens once.

"Tonight" is the ordinary way to say "today at night".

< Previous | Next >