at destination / at the destination

< Previous | Next >

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
"Even before they leave, migrants tend to have taken on some of the characteristics of the population at destination, but they can never completely lose some which they share with the population at origin." (Migration By John Archer Jackson)

Can it be "at the destination" also, with the same meaning?

I don't know when to use "the" for "destination." I have a vague idea that I can use "the" when I am talking about the specific destination, but I think I can also use "the" in most cases. saying it without "the" feels like something is missing, like you don't say "at end" but say "at the end."

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    It sounds like scientific or academic writing in a specialized subject with its own style, so I looked up the book on Amazon and the title listed is Migration (Sociological studies).

In normal you-and-me writing, we would generally say "at their destination."

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    In normal you-and-me writing, we would generally say "at their destination."
    Do both "at (no article) destination" and "at the destination" sound scientific writing style? I can't really tell, because my English is not very good.

If you were to write a playscript, which do you write? <at destination> or <at the destination>?

Thank you.

tehtmc

Chinese
    It is a general statement, so the definite article could be omitted.
    Since 'at origin' is used at the end of the sentence, it is logical to use 'at destination' in the first part.
    But generally, we are more used to using 'at the destination' and 'at the origin', which also work in the sentence.

< Previous | Next >