at full throttle vs all guns blazing

Shandol

Persian
Hi everybody. recently I have figured out some new words and idioms, but I am a bit puzzled about the meaning of these 2 phrases, namely "in throttle" and "with all guns blazing". can they use interchangeably? for example I have done all of my assignments with all guns blazing or in throttle. (with maximum energy)
Thanks for your responds, in advance.

• sdgraham

USA English
    So, are you asking about the common expression, "full throttle," or your apparently new creation of "in throttle" as in your original post?:confused:

Shandol

Persian
    So, are you asking about the common expression, "full throttle," or your apparently new creation of "in throttle" as in your original post?
    < --- > I said "in throttle" because i saw a post on Instagram by a native speaker with a title of In throttle and the aforementioned meaning. anyway, can them be used interchangeably, and whats the difference between them?
    Thank you

< Off topic comment remove. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Shandol

Persian
    That’s the information sdgraham asked you for.

I’ve never heard it either.
    Thanks for your answer. okay, what about "in full throttle" as I mentioned above, difference between "I have done all of my assignments with all guns blazing" and "I have done all of my assignments in full throttles"

pob14

American English
    “With all guns blazing” sounds fine to mean “using maximum effort.” “At full throttle” would suggest “as fast as possible” to me.

Shandol

Persian
    “At full throttle” would suggest “as fast as possible”
    But based on some dictionaries, this "full throttle" has also has the meaning of using "maximum level of effort or energy". can it be a secondary meaning?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Are you referring to this entry in the WRF dictionary? The example uses the word "went" referring to motion, so the example shows high speed, indicating that the meanings overlap.
    Idioms
    at full throttle, at maximum speed or effort:He went after the car at full throttle.
    Many engines that are controlled by a throttle are used to move an object, such as a car or train etc, so "at full throttle" has the same meaning as "with maximum power/effort/energy" to achieve the highest speed and arrive "as fast as possible"

Shandol

Persian
    Are you referring to this entry in the WRF dictionary? The example uses the word "went" referring to motion, so the example shows high speed, indicating that the meanings overlap.
    Many engines that are controlled by a throttle are used to move an object, such as a car or train etc, so "at full throttle" has the same meaning as "with maximum power/effort/energy" to achieve the highest speed and arrive "as fast as possible"
    Really helpful. much appreciated.

< Previous | Next >