*at* his grill?

herut

HKI
Finnish
"Once we even visit Sweden, joining an emigrant by/at/? his kettle grill." (describing a photograph)

What preposition should I use? If there's another way to make the sentence more fluent, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    It should really be past tense if you are describing the past (a photograph).

Try: Once we actually visited/got to Sweden, joining an emigrant by/at his kettle grill.

I hope I have correctly interpreted. To answer your question, both 'at' and 'by' would be fine to me.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    But you can't use "once" with the present tense. :)

Why are you referring to an "emigrant"? That's someone who leaves a place. If you mean someone who has moved to Sweden, then it should be immigrant. ;)

Cheers,
    Elisabetta

herut

HKI
    Finnish
    Hmm.. I'm using 'once' as a synonym for 'one time' i.e. 'for the majority of the book we stay in Finland, but one photograph takes us to Sweden' - that's the reason for 'emigrant' too, an immigrant in Sweden could be from anywhere in the world, whereas emigrant specifies the connection to Finland.

So would it work with "one time we even visit..."? Thanks!

Lexiphile

England English
    "On one occasion" would be clearer.

And you are correct in using the present tense, similarly to the manner in which dreams are usually related in the present tense.

< Previous | Next >