at home in any marsh-like environment from which they hail

mYssU

Chinese
I know every word of them but i don't understand the whole sentence. This little paragraph is from a manual of a RPG game, and it briefly describes one of the races in the game. I find it difficult for me to get used to such kind of structure in bold as follows, so i hope someone can modify the second sentence(They are...they hail.) into a easier way for non-navtive english stundents to understand. Thank you.

Argonians:
Argonians hail from the province of Black Marsh. They are a highly
evolved race of reptilians, at home in any marsh-like environment from
which they hail.
They are known for their intelligence, agility, and
speed.

Attachments

• owlman5

English-US
    I suggest that you forget about "from which they hail". Here's one possibility: They are a highly-evolved race of reptilians that are at home in any marshlike environment.

Is that sentence still too difficult for the people you have in mind, mYssU? Please remember that we're not allowed to rewrite your sentences for you, so you'll have to be content with suggestions about how to simplify the sentence you have provided.

Last edited:

mYssU

Chinese
    Thank you owlman5. Well, i thought it would be easier for me to grasp the exact meaning when a long sentence had been broken up to several short sentences. But your comment is also helpful, the simplification makes me clearer. Thanks.

owlman5

English-US
    Oh. I'll break it up a little to see if that helps, okay?

They are a race of reptile-like creatures. These creatures are highly evolved. They live in marshes or swamps. The planet they came from had many marshes and swamps.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >