at home

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
“Beach lovers are at home there they can go swimming, surfing sailing and windsurfing.”
Could you please explain the meaning of “at home” in this context?
Thanks.

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I found this at dictionary.com, which fits your sentence:

d.in a situation familiar to one; at ease: She has a way of making everyone feel at home.

By the way, your original sentence has some grammatical problems. It needs to be rewritten something like: "Beach lovers are at home there; they can go swimming, surfing, sailing and windsurfing."

Ke rico

America - Spanish
    That pretty much does cover it. "at home" can mean literally in the home or it could mean another way of saying "in a comfortable, familiar place". It's an idiom. (I think that is the correct word)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I found this at dictionary.com, which fits your sentence:

d.in a situation familiar to one; at ease: She has a way of making everyone feel at home.

By the way, your original sentence has some grammatical problems. It needs to be rewritten something like: "Beach lovers are at home there; they can go swimming, surfing, sailing and windsurfing."
    Hi, cycloneviv.
    Very interesting because I thought like this:
    "Beach lovers are at home; there they can go swimming, surfing, sailing and windsurfing."
    I was wrong...

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    That pretty much does cover it. "at home" can mean literally in the home or it could mean another way of saying "in a comfortable, familiar place". It's an idiom. (I think that is the correct word)
    Hi, Ke rico.
    Thank you :)

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi, cycloneviv.
    Very interesting because I thought like this:
    "Beach lovers are at home; there they can go swimming, surfing, sailing and windsurfing."
    I was wrong...
    Not so wrong, as that would work gramatically. The only thing is the idiom about someone being "at home" needs to have a place or situation connected with it. We say: "He seems really at home here/there/in that situation."

You can say "He seems very much at home", but that would usually be after you've been discussing a particular place or situation. For example:

A: "My kitten doesn't mind staying at this cattery when I'm away. He really seems to enjoy the change of scenery."

B: "Yes, he does seem very much at home!"

I hope that helps. I don't think I've explained it very well!

Ke rico

America - Spanish
    Hi mimi2 :D Yeah cycloneviv has reason. But when you use "at home" at the beginning of a sentence like you did when you said,

"Beach lovers are at home; they can go swimming" etc, it is not entirely wrong, but you should put it into a context. So I would say something like "Beach lovers are at home here; they can go swimming, surfing" etc OR "Beach lovers are at home there" you see how I made a context?

If you use the idiom at the beginning of the sentence, you have to give it a context or definition for it to fully make sense.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, cycloneviv and Ke rico, for your explanation.
    I feel very happy because I learned a lot from you. :)

johnni

chinese
    hello,everyone.
    I'm new here,my english is poor.if i am wrong,beg your pardon.
    according the posts above,is this sentence wrong?
    everyone in here is kind,i am at home here.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hello, everyone.
    I'm new here, my English is poor. If I am wrong, beg your pardon.
    According the posts above, is this sentence wrong?
    Everyone in here is kind, I am at home here.
    Hi johnni and welcome to the forums!

I hope you don't mind that I've corrected your use of capitals and also added spaces after the full-stops (periods) in your post. (By the way, apart from those small grammatical errors, I don't think your English is poor at all!)

I would say that the sentence you are asking about is grammatically incorrect. It is actually two sentences and should be joined either by a semi-colon or made into two separate sentences:

Everyone in here is kind; I am at home here.

Everyone in here is kind. I am at home here.

I hope that helps. :)

Hum

Korean
    Hello,Cycloneive.Thanks for your quiclk replyed for my asked past Oct 13 about COST&PRICE.I was can't quoted this thread and so many helped this.

Good luck and Best wish,
    Hum

< Previous | Next >