At/In/By the pool

LukasGER

German
Hello everyone!

Are the following sentences correct?
1) I`m swimming in the pool.
2) I`m sitting at the pool.
3) I`m sitting by the pool.

To me, number 3 sounds better than number 2. Are there any other prepositions you can use with the word "pool"?

Thanks in advance!

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The sentences are all grammatically possible -- but of course, they do not all have the same meaning. Depending on circumstances, you can use any number of other prepositions in this sentence -- and all of those sentences will have different meanings as well.

LukasGER

German
    So, let`s assume I`m sitting on one of these deck chairs, which you can find in the pool area. Am I sitting "by" or "at the pool"?

MilkyBarKid

British English
    1) I`m swimming in the pool. :tick:
    2) I`m sitting at the pool. :cross:
    3) I`m sitting by the pool.

"... Am I sitting "by" or "at the pool"?" by

Barque

Tamil
    Yes.

You could also say "I'm at the pool".
    let`s assume I`m sitting on one of these deck chairs, which you can find in the pool area. Am I sitting "by" or "at the pool"?
    Either. I'm sitting by the pool. I'm at the pool.

And please don't leave a space between an apostrophe and the next letter. It's wrong (and bloody irritating:D).

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A group of people could sit around a pool, or about a pool. Two people may sit across the pool from each other. Each of those people may be sitting near the pool. If a hotel has a rooftop pool, people in the bar on the ground floor may in fact be sitting under the pool.

As I noted above, any number of prepositions may work, depending on what you want to say...

< Previous | Next >