at/in peace

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please give us a sentence in which you think they might both be used. We can discuss whether this is a difference between them in that context, and what it might be, if a difference exists.

Anna-chonger

Chinese
    In fact I haven't an exemple where I think they can both fit. I just saw these two phrases and can't figure out their difference in meaning and usage...

owlman5

English-US
    In that case, Anna, I can tell you that "at peace" and "in peace" are interchangeable in meaning. Some of our idiomatic phrases use "at peace", and some of them use "in peace": We often talk of "being at peace with something". We often talk of "living in peace with one another". People have long been buried under headstones that say "R.I.P." = "rest in peace".

If you just want to say that things are peaceful, then you can use either one: Everything here is peaceful/at peace/in peace. I prefer "peaceful" or "at peace".

EStjarn

Spanish
    what is the difference between at peace and in peace ?
    It seems in peace is interchangeable - syntactically as well as semantically - with peacefully: Live peacefully with one another; rest peacefully. That is not true of at peace: He was peacefully with himself. :cross:

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Could you say to be in peace with something? Though it isnt entirely wrong it is rather unheard off.

WildWest

Turkish
    I guess both of the following man-made sentences are interchangeable.

"The two countries had been at peace/in peace for a long time before the war."

Barque

Tamil
    I don't think "in peace" works there. I'd say "...had been at peace with each other..."

Or perhaps "Both countries had co-existed in peace" but I prefer "at peace with each other".

Artyom4

Armenian
    We say "at peace" to mean that there aren't any wars.For example
    "Our country gets on well with our its neighbours,that's why we leave at peace.

But we sat "in peace" to mean "in silence"
    The child was sleeping in peace.

< Previous | Next >