At/in the hotel lobby

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We need a sentence for context, Lucky_15. :)
    It's a rule. What do you intend to say about the hotel lobby?

Miss Julie, do people often use 'in the hotel', not 'at the hotel' in American English?
    This is a new question, and should be in a different thread. The answer to the question about in/at the hotel may be different from the answer to your question about the hotel lobby. See this previous thread: in a hotel/at a hotel
    If you still have a question about that, you are welcome to add it to the end.

Embonpoint

English--American
    I can't think of a case where I would say at the lobby. You are always in a lobby. However I might say in or at the hotel depending on context. Mainly I would say "at" unless I wanted to emphasize that I was inside not outside. As soon as I arrived at the hotel, I checked in. I was at the hotel when he called. There was a fire alarm and everybody went outside but I stayed in the hotel; I knew it was just smoke from someone's toaster.

Last edited:

Lucky_15

Vietnamese
    Cagey, I'm sorry I have no sentence. I was just learning vocabulary from dictionaries. When it came to 'lobby', they did not give any sentences. They just said 'the hotel lobby'.
    When I did google searches for "at the hotel lobby" and "in the hotel lobby", they both showed huge results. And I didn't know how different they were.
    Thanks Miss Julie and Embonpoint, I guess I'll follow you with 'in' for safe.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I was surprised to see that "at the hotel lobby" is indeed quite common, though outnumbered 5:1 by "in the hotel lobby".
    Looking at the sources, they are predominantly Pacific rather than AE or BE. Please look at the in context examples to see what I mean.

It may be that this is a natural usage in some varieties of English.

< Previous | Next >