At/in world cup

sadnesess

Libya
Hello. What preposition should I use at or in in the followin sentence?

I'm very happy to be able to play at/in the World Cup next month. If using "at", please explain why.

• heypresto

English - England
    If you are a player in one of the national teams and will be actually competing in the tournament, then 'in the World Cup' would be correct.

I suppose you could say 'at' if you were kicking a ball around with some friends in a car park at one of the stadiums. You'd be at the event, and playing football, but obviously you wouldn't be in the tournament.

lingobingo

English - England
    As heypresto, says, the correct preposition to use is “in”.

To play at [something] means to “engage in [it] without proper seriousness or understanding” (Oxford definition). For example, “The problem with being properly undercover, not just playing at it, is that you’re entirely on your own.”

Also, when someone does something you consider stupid, it’s quite normal to say to them “What on earth did you think you were playing at?”

And there’s a common expression “two can play at that game”, which usually implies that you intend to cause someone harm in the same way as they’ve already done so to you.

sadnesess

Libya
    I suppose you could say 'at' if you were kicking a ball around with some friends in a car park at one of the stadiums. You'd be at the event, and playing football, but obviously you wouldn't be in the tournament.
    Thanks heypresto. But how about this sentence?
    This is a record of England's result at the World Cup.

< Previous | Next >