At its birth, hip-hop reclaimed the legacy of the Zulu nation.

West Coast

Norwegian
Hi!

Context:
from a documentary about black influence on fashion through history:

From its origins in the early 20th century, the civil rights movement culminated in the 1964 act banning discrimination. Then came Malcolm X with his distinctive Nation of Islam black suits, and the Black Panthers. Mixing style and politics. In newly independent African states, Presidents Lumumba, Nkrumah and others promoted the return of traditional fabrics. In Harlem, fashion was tribal, militant or psychedelic. At its birth, hip-hop reclaimed the legacy of the Zulu nation.

I know that "Zulu Nation" was a movement in the seventies, but is this sentence to be understood literally? That they looked to Zululand for inspiration?

Best regards West Coast

• owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure what "the legacy of the Zulu nation" means here. I imagine that it means something like "colorful clothing" or "clothing that looks African".

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome, WC.

Maybe "going back to their African roots" could be one way of putting it?
    Maybe it could. The problem with "the legacy of the Zulu nation" is that it has no widespread general meaning. It has contextual meaning here. Because the context seems focused on fashion, I assume that legacy has something to do with clothing.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think "Zulu" needs to maybe looked at in more of a tribal way.

Given that tribes aren't always welcome as nations, "Zulu nation" may be ambitious, but not wrong.

American Football teams use this in a tribal way (which I disapprove of, generally).

Sox Nation. (Pick Chitown or Beantown).

EDIT: That would be baseball, not American football. Sooooo ... sorry.

< Previous | Next >