At long last, Mr. Aaron finally had our undivided attention.

chance22

chinese
At long last, Mr. Aaron finally had our undivided attention.
Does this mean that after a long period, Mr. Aaron made us calm down and concentrate on him, or:after a long period, we finally were able to concentrate on Mr. Aaron ?

• chance22

chinese
    The previous sentences: Mr Aaron reluctantly stopped his class and organized the flowers. As he shuffled through the thick stack of cards,the room filled with anticipation. At long last,...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am not certain. It depends on what they were doing before this started, and how they usually treat Mr. Aaron. It could be that Mr. Aaron hadn't had their attention before, but that for some reason they were interested in what he would find in the cards, or do with them.

"Anticipation" suggests that they expected something exciting to happen.

Sometimes quoted sentences aren't sufficient context. It may be more useful for you to tell us something about the story.

chance22

chinese
    I am not certain. It depends on what they were doing before this started, and how they usually treat Mr. Aaron. It could be that Mr. Aaron hadn't had their attention before, but that for some reason they were interested in what he would find in the cards, or do with them.

"Anticipation" suggests that they expected something exciting to happen.

Sometimes quoted sentences aren't sufficient context. It may be more useful for you to tell us something about the story.
    The story is about "my high school life".The student council had a fund raiser where we could buy a flower for someone special and have it delivered to them on Valentine's Day morning. Finally that moment came, and a delivery person entered the room carrying a massive bouquet of flowers for distribution thirty minutes after Mr.Aaron's math class had begun.
    Then come the sentences I quoted above

Cagey

English - US
    I think it means that everyone quieted down by themselves, without being asked, because they were so interested in what Mr Aaron would do.

The fact that he finally had their full attention suggests to me that usually the students usually paid attention to other things during the class, rather than concentrating on what Mr Aaron was trying to teach them.

chance22

chinese
    I think it means that everyone quieted down by themselves, without being asked, because they were so interested in what Mr Aaron would do.

The fact that he finally had their full attention suggests to me that usually the students usually paid attention to other things during the class, rather than concentrating on what Mr Aaron was trying to teach them.
    Got it.But what about at long last?Does it mean at last? or for a long time here?

Cagey

English - US
    Here "finally" doesn't talk about the time that is coming, but the time that is past. After some length of time, at the end of it, finally Mr Aaron has their attention. A second later, they may be misbehaving again. (I hope not.)

it's me here

Chinese
    hi, chance22,

it seems that 'at last' suggests some waiting that is quite long, maybe longer than expected. the 'long' adds to the longing and expectation on the part of the person who waits.

< Previous | Next >