at/on the beach

< Previous | Next >

Peruviano espánish
Hello!

I just wonder which possibility is correct: at the beach or on the beach.

Thanks for your kind replies

• WillyLandron

English United States
    I'm sorry that I'm not answering this but I'm not sure. I would like to add a question to this if you don't mind.

Does anybody know what this paragraph is saying?

“UCSB’s close proximity to the coast and large student population has a big impact on the shoreline. We have such a treasure [in living] so close to the coast and SPF is looking to help maintain and protect it,” Bull said. “People are walking through plover nests and sensitive habitats and dropping trash where they please, unaware their actions affect the natural ecosystem. What you throw on the beach ends up in the beach.”

The full article is at : http://www.dailynexus.com/news/2002/3519.html

140278 said:
    Hello!

Hello!

You can say 'I looked at the beach' meaning you were looking at it but not on it.

Or: 'I looked on the beach to see if I could find some sea shells.

Or: 'I took my children to play on the beach.'

It is not usual to say that you would find things in the beach. Rather, you would say 'you found things in the sand'

Looking back to the past you could say 'Do you remember the lovely day we had at the beach?'

Context is all important here. If you could give us your full sentence it would be easier to give you an exact translation.

LRV

DaleC

WillyLandron said:
    I'm sorry that I'm not answering this but I'm not sure. I would like to add a question to this if you don't mind.

Does anybody know what this paragraph is saying?

““People are walking through plover nests and sensitive habitats and dropping trash where they please, [. . . .] What you throw on the beach ends up in the beach.”
    First, the original question. We choose between "at the beach" and "on the beach" as the meaning demands. "At" refers to the beach as a geographical location or as a scene, a minienvironment. "On" refers to the beach as a terrain, as a stretch of sand; "on the beach" is similar to "on the sand".

As for "in the beach". I think only the fool who uttered this knows for sure what he himself meant:rolleyes: : the beach as an environment (compare "in the city, in the forest") or literally mixed into the beach sand.

Peruviano espánish
    The context is:

I am on the beach. ¿?

I like being at the beach. ¿?

Thanks

drlith

English/USA
    140278 said:
    Hello!

Depende de lo que quieres decir. At the beach tiene el sentido de en la area general de la playa-- "en la playa". On the beach tiene un un sentido mas especifico--como "en/sobre el arenal." Entonces "While we were at the beach, I found a crab on the beach" quiere decir cuando estabamos en la playa, encontre un cangrejo en el arenal.

Soy Yo

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Drlith tiene razón.

Where's Bob?
    Oh, he's at the beach. (no es necesariamente "sobre el arenal" pero está por allí cerca...y puede estar sobre el arenal... Esto no es tan específico.

Oh, he's on the beach (Está allí mismo en la arena, tomando el sol, tomando una cerveza, jugando, etc.)

< Previous | Next >