"My car is in/at the repair shop?"
"You can found the tool you need at/in the garage"
Thanks in advance

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, Alvin n.

Welcome to the forum. :)

If you are thinking of the repair shop as a business, I would say "My car is at the repair shop."

If the garage is a building, I would say "You can find the tool you need in the garage."

Alvin n

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you very much.

One more question.

I have heard that "things and animals" can't be "at" a place, only people, because “at” indicates a “human” purpose.

“My car is at the repair shop” Ok, at can be used because we are thinking of the repair shop as a business not a place.

But:

“ I left my car at the car park”

“ The tool you are looking for is outside, at the shelter” “In” would be right but could I use “at”.

"My car is parked at the train station"

Are any of these sentences wrong? Should I try to avoid the use of "at" when i am speaking about things "at" places and substitute "at" for "on" for surfaces and for "in" for closed places?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I have heard that "things and animals" can't be "at" a place, only people, because “at” indicates a “human” purpose.
    This is not a correct. 'At' indicates location; there is no suggestion of intention one way or another.

Alvin n

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you

Then Could I say
    "The dog is at the pharmacy?"
    My book says that a dog can't be "at" because it can be there with a purpose and "in" should be used

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    A: "Where is your car?"
    B: "It's at the repair shop." (Location is the main interest.)

A: "Why do you look so sad?"
    B: "My car is in the repair shop." (The problem and solution are the main interest.)

< Previous | Next >