at rush hour/at the rush hour

will3154

chinese,Harbin
<< at rush hour\ at the rush hour >>

Which one is the right one? I like the second one but one source says " at rush hour" is a fixed expression. What do you think?:confused:

<< Include words you are asking about in the post itself.
Thank you. :) >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • will3154

chinese,Harbin
    Thanks a lot! So clearly, I was wrong, it is "at rush hour" in American English or " in or during the rush hour in B.E. I am glad the printed material is correct this time.:eek:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In American English we also say 'during rush hour' when we are talking about it as a period of time:
    I don't drive on the freeways during rush hour.

I agree that we are unlikely to say 'in rush hour'.

will3154

chinese,Harbin
    so in American English "during rush hour" without" the" , "during the rush hour" is preferred B.E.:confused:

boozer

Bulgarian
    In American English you would say "at rush hour." "At the rush hour" makes it sound like a place instead of a time.
    :eek: I'm surprised (but I'm not questioning it) - sounds to me like at 10 o'clock - like the rush hours comes and goes in an instant, while everyone actually expects traffic to gradually build up to nasty levels and then slowly abate :)

Bender_Bending_Rodriguez

English - Canadian
    :eek: I'm surprised (but I'm not questioning it) - sounds to me like at 10 o'clock - like the rush hours comes and goes in an instant, while everyone actually expects traffic to gradually build up to nasty levels and then slowly abate :)
    That's true, but the rules about this stuff can be weird. You say "at night" too... but "in the morning." :confused:

< Previous | Next >