at some time or other VS at some time another

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I read an article:

There are certain mistakes that tend to be made by almost all English learners - and some native speakers - at some time or another.

My question:
Could I say 'at some times or another'? I think I couldn't , because it's a set phrase and this does not denote a specific time.

2. 'at some time or other' means ' used when the specific details about when something is or was done are not important or have been forgotten '. So 'at some time or other' and 'at some time another' are interchangeable?

Thanks in advance1 :)

Source: Most Common Writing Mistakes of ESL Students

• bandini

English
    Yes is it a set phrase. Many times people say, "At one time or another."
    No, I don't think it has anything to do whether the events are memorable or not.
    No, it is not interchangeable with "at some other time."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks for your reply, so what's the difference between 'at some time or other' and 'at some time or another'

"At some time or other" is used in the way you suggested, forgoodorill:
    'at some time or other' means ' used when the specific details about when something is or was done are not important or have been forgotten'.

There are certain mistakes that tend to be made by almost all English learners - and some native speakers - at some time or another.
    This means that almost everyone who uses English will make certain mistakes on occasion.

There are certain mistakes that tend to be made by almost all English learners - and some native speakers - at some time or other.
    (I don't think "at" is used much with this expression.)

In this specific sentence there is hardly a smidgen of difference in meaning, but "some time or other" sounds a bit more casually dismissive to me: You're bound to make mistakes some time or other; it's only natural, so stop worrying about it.