at the cafe in the station

lune97

Korean
Hello,

Here's the sentence.

Let's meet at the cafe in the station tomorrow morning.

Is this sentence okay? We usually say "at the station" when we talk about where to meet.

What about "Let's meet at the cafe at the station." ?

• Copyright

American English
    Depends on what sort of station, I think.

If it's a cafe in a train station, for example, I would say "in the station."

lune97

Korean
    Yes, the cafe is located in the train station.
    So, "meet at the cafe in the station" is okay?

Copyright

American English
    All of these can work, I think:

Let's meet in the cafe in the station.
    Let's meet at the cafe in the station.
    Let's meet in the cafe at the station.
    Let's meet at the cafe at the station.

I like "Let's meet at the cafe in the station" but if you feel that you want to specifically say "inside" the cafe rather than "outside" the cafe or at the entrance, you certainly can. But trust me, whoever you're saying this to will get it wrong anyway (if they're like my friends). :)

sound shift

English - England
    I personally would not use "meet in the café in the station." It sounds less idiomatic than "meet at the café in the station" (which I could use) to me. I could also use "Let's meet at the station café."

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Your sentence is OK, as are all Copyright's answers in #6. But your question is not the right question. The right question is "What meaning do I want to convey, what is the best way to convey it?

There may be a cafe alongside the station (= at) or right in the heart of the station (= in).
    You might meet on the outside terrace of the cafe (= at) or in the inside room (= in).

< Previous | Next >