at the end / in the end

• Phillychick

English-USA
    "in the end" = eventually, finally
    after a period of time has passed, a new action occurs. This action can be a decision that is made, or an event that occurs etc.

ex. after ten years of trying to convince his girlfriend to marry him, John "finally" abandoned the idea and found a new woman to date.

ex. "In the end" John realized that his girlfried really wasn't worth staying with.

"at the end" = description of what is actually occuring durring the ending of a book/movie, or the actual closing scene of a play.

lavalier

English-US
    Bonjour,
    Is it possibly....."at the end of the road" and "in the end, they lived happy ever after"
    "At the end" of something and "in the end" ...the outcome of something
    S.
    This agrees with my own experience in US English. "At the end" seems very physical --at the end of the road, turn right. At the end of the document, sign on the signature line. "In the end" seems to exist intellectually: in the end, (ie, after all their troubles) John married Elizabeth.

Quite frankly, I suppose some anglophones would have trouble choosing between the two phrases in some instances: At the end of the play, John marries Elizabeth. In the end, John marries Elizabeth.

white_ray

Portuguese PT
    Great explanation Phillychick, it really helped me today! :thumbsup:
    Thanks a lot!! :)
    wr

"in the end" = eventually, finally
    after a period of time has passed, a new action occurs. This action can be a decision that is made, or an event that occurs etc.

ex. after ten years of trying to convince his girlfriend to marry him, John "finally" abandoned the idea and found a new woman to date.

ex. "In the end" John realized that his girlfried really wasn't worth staying with.

"at the end" = description of what is actually occuring durring the ending of a book/movie, or the actual closing scene of a play.

< Previous | Next >