At the invitation of the Host country, ...

< Previous | Next >

rich7

Venezuela español
At the invitation of the Host country, the conference will take place from 7 to 11 May 2207 in Miami, USA.

I do not get the sense in saying "at"...or even the whole first sentence??????????

• volky

Spanish/English
    This is stablishing that the conference will take place at the date, time and place indicated, as a result of the invitation extended by the host contry. (Which I assume is Miami, USA).

If you want this in spanish, just post the request in the general forum.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    At the invitation of the Host country, the conference will take place from 7 to 11 May 2207 in Miami, USA.

I do not get the sense in saying "at"...or even the whole first sentence??????????
    This phrase is often seen in various forms ie:

"At the request of the elderly neighbours, he mowed their lawn for them"
    "At the sound of the train horn, all the village children would run to wave at the engineer as the train passed"
    "At the pleading of the children, she bought all of them some candy"

konungursvia

Banned
    Canada (English)
    This is a grammatical calque from the French: à l'invitation de... I'd be suprised if you didn't see similar things in Spanish. Don't you?

AWordLover

USA English

Unless it is clearly understood, there would normally be a hint to tell if the conference is happening in the morning or evening.

paulio

UK, English
    I don't really see the need for capitalising "host country", but if you do want to then it needs to be "Host Country" not "Host country"

rich7

Venezuela español
    I really understand these examples:

"At the request of the elderly neighbours, he mowed their lawn for them"
    "At the sound of the train horn, all the village children would run to wave at the engineer as the train passed"
    "At the pleading of the children, she bought all of them some candy"

Just because there is an action (at the request..) and thus a result (he moved...) in every of them.

But here: at the invitation.. (action?) the conference will ..(result?).

Something is not adding up, at least to me.

< Previous | Next >