At the risk of embodying the most tired trope in all of modern masculinity,

Vanloon

Hindi
697: Alone Together - This American Life

It seems like such a simple question, but I just wanted to know, did he enjoy himself?

At the risk of embodying the most tired trope in all of modern masculinity, I will say my father and I never really got along. He was strict, his house had a lot of rules, and he believed in corporal punishment and the sting of that conflict stayed with me as an adult but since my mom passed away last year, I've been trying to connect with him more.

context: 'he' means the speaker's father.
Q: The red phrase. Could you paraphrase? Thanks in advance!

• LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    "Although it makes me sound like a man in a often-described stereotypical situation..." is my paraphrase. I hope it helps.

Vanloon

Hindi
    "Although it makes me sound like a man in a often-described stereotypical situation..." is my paraphrase. I hope it helps.
    Thanks for your answer. Could you explain several key words from the text? It is very confusing. Thanks a lot!!

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Try looking up these words in the WR dictionaries, please, and then let us know which ones are bothering you in particular.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Try looking up these words in the WR dictionaries, please, and then let us know which ones are bothering you in particular.
    Thanks for your reply. Sure, before I posted it, I searched but it is very tricky for me.

At the risk of embodying the most tired trope in all of modern masculinity =
    Although it makes me sound like a man in a often-described stereotypical situation

1. For me, 'at the risk of embodying' sounds like very abstract. I think embody means "be an example of". And I have no idea why it could be danger(risk).

2. the most tired trope: I think the word 'trope' means 'a word or expression used in a figurative sense'. I have no idea why just a expression could be tired.

Thanks in advance!

Roxxxannne

Fitting these definitions into the original, we get

While there's a chance of danger in my presenting myself as an example of the most worn-out metaphor in all of modern masculinity ... .

It's risky for him as a storyteller because he is presenting such a hackneyed beginning for his story. He has a good story to tell, but he's worried that the beginning will turn listeners away, because the idea that boys (and men) don't get along with their fathers is so boringly common.

Actually this is a really interesting and poignant story; I enjoyed reading the transcript!

Vanloon

Hindi

While there's a chance of danger in my presenting myself as an example of the most worn-out metaphor in all of modern masculinity ... .

It's risky for him as a storyteller because he is presenting such a hackneyed beginning for his story. He has a good story to tell, but he's worried that the beginning will turn listeners away, because the idea that boys (and men) don't get along with their fathers is so boringly common.

Actually this is a really interesting and poignant story; I enjoyed reading the transcript!
    Thanks for your enjoy!

One more question please. What is the object for the word 'embody'? Thanks in advance!
    P.S. May I give you more questions about it? Thanks a lot!

Vanloon

Hindi

Oh, the object is 'I' Right? Now I understand a little bit! Not 100% though!

Vanloon

Hindi
    One more question please!

'in all of modern masculinity' is still confusing for me.

'Modern' means nowadays..right? 21 century. Then what about modern masculinity mean? Of course I know the literal means. Thanks in advance!

Roxxxannne

The object of 'embodying' is 'trope.' 'My' is understood: 'At the risk of my embodying ...'.
    'Modern masculinity' is the speaker's way of saying briefly 'in all late 20th- and early 21st-century discussion/commentary/writing about what it's like to be male and how men are perceived.'

Vanloon

Hindi
    The object of 'embodying' is 'trope.' 'My' is understood: 'At the risk of my embodying ...'.
    'Modern masculinity' is the speaker's way of saying briefly 'in all late 20th- and early 21st-century discussion/commentary/writing about what it's like to be male and how men are perceived.'
    Thank you Roxxxannne! But Even though your effort, I'm confused.

Why the writer talk about 'masculinity' here? I think it means...: In 21st century, Men should be more man like? Please paraphrase, like talking to your little kids. Thanks a lot!
    Thanks in advance!

Vanloon

Hindi
    Why he talked about 'male' and 'modern'? Thanks in advance!

Roxxxannne

He talks about 'male' and 'modern' because he wants to introduce his story by mentioning the current (modern) perception of the relationship between fathers and sons (males). He's putting his own story in context: lots of people talk about how men and their fathers don't get along.

Vanloon

Hindi
    He talks about 'male' and 'modern' because he wants to introduce his story by mentioning the current (modern) perception of the relationship between fathers and sons (males). He's putting his own story in context: lots of people talk about how men and their fathers don't get along.
    Oh, I'm So happy to see your answer. I can understand your last answer but It is still confused for me... So, Could you paraphrase 'in all of modern masculinity' in easier English?
    I hope I'm not bothering you. 😂

Roxxxannne

Thank you Roxxxannne! But Even though your effort, I'm confused.

Why the writer talk about 'masculinity' here? I think it means...: In 21st century, Men should be more man like? Please paraphrase, like talking to your little kids. Thanks a lot!
    Thanks in advance!
    He's using 'masculinity' to mean 'the fact of being a male person,' he's not talking about being 'more manly' or less manly.'

Vanloon

Hindi
    He's using 'masculinity' to mean 'the fact of being a male person,' he's not talking about being 'more manly' or less manly.'
    Oh, more clear. Can I put it this way?

As a man who liven in 21 century.... This is my paraphrase. Thanks in advance!

Roxxxannne

Oh, more clear. Can I put it this way?

As a man who liven in 21 century.... This is my paraphrase. Thanks in advance!
    Not quite, but close. He's speaking generally, not about just himself.
    I'm paraphrasing the whole sentence loosely:
    I'm a little worried because when I say "my father and I never really got along," I sound like an example of the most boring thing that people talk about when they describe what it's like to be a man in the 21st century: men don't get along with their fathers.

Vanloon

Hindi
    I'm a little worried because when I say "my father and I never really got along," I sound like an example of the most boring thing that people talk about when they describe what it's like to be a man in the 21st century: men don't get along with their fathers.
    Thanks a lot!!! Now I’m going to read it!!!!! Thanks for your patience!!!

Vanloon

Hindi
    Does this phrase imply that 21 century, father and son usually don’t get along with. Right?

Roxxxannne

That's how I intended to use it. 'Men don't get along with their fathers' explains 'the most boring thing that people talk about ...'.

< Previous | Next >