At The Time

< Previous | Next >

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This expression often is used for retrospective statements. I assume the simple когда may be used, but there must be a Russian expression for referring to specific time in the past. Here are some simple examples.

1. Looking back we would not have hired Neznaika, but at the time we thought he was very smart.
2. She should have never worked as a prostitute, but at the time she needed the money.

Как сказать по-русски?

• Vovan

Russian
    I assume the simple когда may be used
    Did you mean "тогда"?
    It certainly can be used!:thumbsup:
    But actually we've got pretty much the same as the English "at the time", which is в то время, в тот момент.

nizzebro

Russian
    would в ту пору also fit in this situation?
    Пора would mean "a period of time" in the given context; в ту пору sounds a bit old-fashioned or bookish (while в тот период sounds formal). В то время is the best general option to relate to a period of time, and в тот момент - to a moment of time.

Vovan

Russian
    Timmy C
    Theoretically, it does.
    "В ту пору" will often sound poetic in today's Russian. And it usually refers to a period of time 1. more or less in the distant past 2. that is characterized by an essential feature throughout ("when I was young", "in the 90s", "when our company was experiencing serious financial problems", "during a time of political unrest", etc.).
    В ту пору люди не понимали, что страна постепенно движется к коллапсу.
    Personally, I wouldn't use "в ту пору" in the OP's sentences.
    (Cross-posted.)

nizzebro

Russian
    I would add that тогда supposes some opposition to the present moment - as in "но тогда ещё не знал, что....", so it suits fine for the original examples.

Rosett

Russian
    I would add that тогда supposes some opposition to the present moment - as in "но тогда ещё не знал, что....", so it suits fine for the original examples.
    This topic is focused on Russian expressions corresponding to the given English idioms.

Maroseika

Russian
    Спасибо парни. Очень ясные объяснения.
    Just a sidenote: unlike English "guys" meaning "парни" but used also when addressing to a group of males and females, Russian парни can be addressed to the males only. They nearest analog of "guys" is probably ребята, sounding a bit childish though.

Timmy C

UK English
    Thanks Maroseika. Good to know.
    Just a sidenote: unlike English "guys" meaning "парни" but used also when addressing to a group of males and females, Russian парни can be addressed to the males only. They nearest analog of "guys" is probably ребята, sounding a bit childish though.
    Thanks Maroseika. Good to know

< Previous | Next >