At the upper FAR right hand side of the screen

Luis.Olias

Spanish, Spain
Hello,

I was wondering whether this sentence can be correct:

"That icon is on your home screen, at the upper far right hand side."

I am not sure about "far" being correct. Thanks in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    There's a conflict between "far" and "right hand side". I don't think you can have both.

In your context, I suggest leaving "far" out.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    To me, in AE, the right-hand side of the screen is the rightmost one-third to one-half of the screen. "Far right" is more precise: at or near the edge of the screen, no more than the rightmost 10 percent or so. I would say "far right" if I wanted to give people as much guidance as possible on where to find something, such as an icon in a Microsoft Office ribbon (if that's where it is, of course).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    And some of us feel compelled to say right hand or left hand even though the extra word is not necessary. :thumbsup:
    Just as automobiles are generally described as "right hand drive" or "left hand drive," based on the side of the car where the driver sits. It's not as if one drives using only one's right hand in the U.K., only one's left hand in the U.S. If anything, the driver of a LHD manual transmission car uses his or her right hand more, and vice versa.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's not as if one drives using only one's right hand in the U.K., only one's left hand in the U.S.
    Isn't it? Well, OK, of course not only, but perhaps predominantly.
    If anything, the driver of a LHD manual transmission car uses his or her right hand more, and vice versa.
    Depends what you mean by "drive". In a RHD UK car, the left hand operates the gear stick and handbrake, so the right hand is on the steering wheel for more of the time than the left. Ask any child to mime driving, and I'm sure most of them would imitate moving a steering wheel from side to side. In that sense, a RHD car is "driven" mostly with the right hand.

< Previous | Next >