At the weekend, I want to go to the indoor skatepark

MollyandFredsMummy

English
Can someone tell me how to say: "At the weekend, I want to go to the indoor skatepark with my friends." Is, "Am Wochenende will ich noch auf das indoor Skatepark mit meinen Freunden" correct? Is there a better way to say this in German. This is my daughter's homework, so the grammar has to be correct.

• Frank78

German
    Almost. Just the wrong preposition was used.

"Am Wochenende will ich in den Indoor-Skatepark mit meinen Freunden."

"Noch" doesn't appear in the original so I dropped it. And since it's German there are plenty of other possibilities in word order. Your sentence puts most emphasis on the time "at the weekend". The most neutral word order would be:

"Ich will am Wochenende mit meinen Freunden in den Indoor-Skatepark."

MollyandFredsMummy

English
    Almost. Just the wrong preposition was used.

"Am Wochenende will ich in den Indoor-Skatepark mit meinen Freunden."

"Noch" doesn't appear in the original so I dropped it. And since it's German there are plenty of other possibilities in word order. Your sentence puts most emphasis on the time "at the weekend". The most neutral word order would be:

"Ich will am Wochenende mit meinen Freunden in den Indoor-Skatepark."
    Thank you Frank78. That's a great help!
    < ... >
    And is there a better way to say "indoor" for the Indoor-Skatepark bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

manfy

German - Austria
    And is there a better way to say "indoor" for the Indoor-Skatepark bit?
    Probably not any more. If that venue calls itself 'Indoor Skatepark' then every native speaker will probably use exactly that name.
    Most indoor venues used to be called Hallen-something (e.g. indoor swimming pool = Hallenbad; indoor soccer = Hallenfußball; etc)
    However, with Skatepark that doesn't work well because 'Park' is a decidedly outdoor thing. Therefore, Skatepark-Halle is possible and understandable but it sounds strange.
    Alternatively you could use 'überdacht' to express the indoor aspect, i.e. 'der überdachte Skatepark'. But for younger people this might sound odd too because most indoor stadiums are now called 'Indoor Stadion', rather than 'überdachtes Stadion'.
    < ... >

Last edited by a moderator:

djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Why isn't the verb " gehen" there?
    "am Wochenende will Ich mit meinen Freunden in den Indoor-Skatepark gehen"
    Hi,

The verb is implied. Other examples: Ich will/muss nach Haus/weg/fort/hin/raus/zum Arzt (gehen/fahren). Ich will nach Deutschland (reisen). Ich kann gut Deutsch (sprechen). Ich möchte ein Stück Kuchen (haben/essen).

Frieder

Way too complicated. Imagine a teenager saying "Ich geh jetzt in die Schlittschuhlaufhalle".
    Indoor Skate Park is so much hipper and cooler.

(crossed with Frank78)

bearded

War nur so 'ne Idee. Ich stamme aus einer Zeit, da man im Deutschen viel weniger Englisch benutzte als heute.:)
    /
    It was just an idea. I go back to an epoch when much fewer English words were used in German than nowadays.

Last edited:

manfy

German - Austria
    War nur so 'ne Idee. Ich stamme aus einer Zeit, da man im Deutschen viel weniger Englisch benutzte als heute.:)
    /
    It was just an idea. I go back to an epoch when much fewer English words were used in German than nowadays.
    Well, the German terms are not completely dead yet. But "Schlittschuhlaufhalle" is an awkward word, as long compounded words often are. But I'd have no problem calling it "Eislaufhalle".
    The same is true for "Rollschuhlaufhalle". Just one word less and it sounds fine again: "Rollschuh-Disco". I went once to such a place and even though everybody was using inline skates, the name 'Rollschuh-Disco' seemed sufficiently befitting and even hip.

< Previous | Next >