at their gate

sleepymarmot

Italy - Italian
Hi everybody
This scene happens in the country:

The carriage dropped them at their gate.

Is the expression "at their gate" corresponding to "at home"?
Thanks in advance
Marmot

• Joelline

American English
    In this context, the two expressions are equivalent. "At their gate" suggests that their home is surrounded by a fence with a front gate. The carriage has dropped them as close to their actual home as possible.

tepatria

Canadian English
    Yes, so try to imagine a white fence with a small gate, or a huge castle with a huge gate. That is where the carriage left them. If the driveway was very long, the carriage would have driven right up to the door.

AWordLover

USA English
    Hi,

I'll take a guess.
    I'm imagining that their property has a fence, and the entrance has a gate. Rather than opening the gate and having the carriage (which sounds like an old horse drawn carriage) drive to their house, the are instead let out at the gate to the fence that is an entrance to their property.

More context would be needed to decide how good or silly this guess really is.

sleepymarmot

Italy - Italian
    Thank you very much, Joelline, Tepatria and AWordLover. The carriage runs in the country and stops time after time dropping people at their gate. So, I've got it. :)
    Marmot

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    HI, all. I have a similar question to the OP, but I want to add more details as OP dosen't have much context. In schools, factories, or neighbourhoods, there is normally an entrance to the inside of the school or factory or offie buildings (see my pictures below). At the entrance there is usually a room where security guards or staff work there; in factory they control visitors (visitors need to sign in here before they go inside) and help receive small parcels.

I want to make sure if it's appropriate/natual to call the entrance "gate". I may say to a vistor "When you arrive please call me and wait at the gate; I will come to see you then." I buy things online and may have them delivered to our factory, I may say to the delivery man "Just leave my parcel at the gate. "

Thank you.

Attachments

< Previous | Next >