at their guest's disposal for

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "The Hedgehog" by H. H. Munro.

The Norburys have a visitor who aims to see a ghost. The landlord of Norburys , Mrs. Hatch-Mallard says the first sentence of the quote.

What does it mean "at their guest's disposal for undesirable ghostly visitations" ? The problem is the word "disposal". I looked in dictionary but could not get which one of the meanings fits here.

Thank you.

"...Mrs. Norbury, I shall take it as a deliberate personal affront if your clairvoyante friend sees any other ghost except that of my uncle." (Mrs. Hatch-Mallard)

[...]

"It was a most unfortunate topic for me to have broached," she lamented afterwards to the owner of the chinchilla voice; "Exwood belongs to Mrs. Hatch-Mallard, and we've only got it on a short lease..." (Mrs. Norbury)

[...]

The Norburys played bridge for the next three nights till nearly one o'clock; they did not care for the game, but it reduced the time at their guest's disposal for undesirable ghostly visitations.

• Andygc

British English
    From The WR dictionary
    The power or opportunity to make use of someone or something (esp in the phrase at one's disposal)
    By playing cards until late they reduced the length of time during which their guests could see ghosts.

< Previous | Next >