at this [end of / indoor] Niagara Falls

arueng

CHINESE
Well all i can do is a shake my head
You might not believe that it's true
For workin' at this end on niagara falls
Is a undiscovered howard hughes

Hi,

Is there any hidden meaning in the phrase "at this end on Niagara falls" in the above from Working at the car wash blues? Thanks.

• arueng

CHINESE
    I believe it's "at this end of Niagara Falls". He is using imagery, equating the car wash to Niagara Falls, a large waterfall between the U.S. and Canada.
    Thanks, JamesM.
    I think i get the general idea now, but where is at the end of Niagar Falls?" Is it at the tail of Niagar Falls?

Copyright

American English
    I think you may have found a page (as I did) with incorrect lyrics -- these things are often posted by fans. I found these lyrics and then listened to Jim Croce singing the song to confirm it, and he's saying "this indoor Niagara Falls" (the carwash itself).

Well, all I can do is a shake my head
    You might not believe that it's true
    For workin' at this indoor Niagara Falls
    Is an undiscovered Howard Hughes

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Copyright, for the new version and explanation.

So, Jim Croce compared the carwash blues to this indoor Niagar Falls, right? Wow! Jim was really creative and imaginative!

Copyright

American English
    Thanks, Copyright, for the new version and explanation.

So, Jim Croce compared the carwash blues to this indoor Niagar Falls, right? Wow! Jim was really creative and imaginative!
    He's not comparing his "carwash blues" to Niagara Falls, but the carwash itself. Note the "a" on the end of Niagara, which you've been dropping after your original post. :)

Yes, it's a nice line.

< Previous | Next >