(At this point) he starts to make different gestures to stop her talking.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Information:
The students are going to watch a video clip from the movie Despicable Me 2, but before that I give them the written extract from the script they are going to watch.
That said, at a certain point from the video clip, Gru, one of the characters, starts to make different gestures, like the ones shown below, to stop Agnes, the little girl, talking.

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-07 a las 11.14.26.png Captura de pantalla 2017-09-07 a las 11.15.43.png

This is what Agnes interprets from Gru's gestures above.
Agnes: He’s putting on lipstick.
Agnes: He’s chopping his head off!

Question:
To introduce Gru's gestures in the written extract, which are wrongly understood by Agnes, should I say:
a) Gru starts to make different gestures to stop Agnes talking.
b) At this point, Gru makes different gestures to stop Agnes talking.

Thanks in advance.

• Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I prefer b). I would have said "...in order to stop Agnes from talking"
    Hi Franco,
    Thanks for your help and time. You know what, I thought about using "from" but then I decided not to use it. :(
    At this point, Gru makes different gestures in order to stop Agnes from talking.

TL

Forero

If you need to describe the gestures, the first is "zip it", as if the mouth were a zipper, and the second is "cut", used by directors of television, film, and theater.

I would say "... to get the little girl, Agnes, to stop talking."

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    If you need to describe the gestures, the first is "zip it", as if the mouth were a zipper, and the second is "cut", used by directors of television, film, and theater.

I would say "... to get the little girl, Agnes, to stop talking."
    Thanks a lot for your interest and help, Forero.

TL

< Previous | Next >