at this point or at this step

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sun 94, Apr 27, 2010.

1. sun 94 Banned

korean
    I wonder what could be the best transitions in the following sentence. You( teacher) asks students to do something, such as to brainstorm ideas for the given topic and as a transtion you say

Once you have finished brainstorming your ideas, the next thing you have to is to write an essayr using a complete sentence. At this point(?), you can go back to what have you written on your paper to decide what to include your paper. ....

2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    I don't think people would say at this step. Then would be fine.

I've put an exclamation mark after brainstorming because I wouldn't say it, but I know there are people who do. I've never been sure what they were trying to say. I thought, maybe wrongly, it was a business expression.

3. sun 94 Banned

korean
    But in writing class, teachers usually say ' to brainstorm your ideas. Am I wrong? If not, what it the other expression to say the same thing in the writing class?

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    I think the word 'brainstorm' is fine: I often used the activity with more advanced classes. I don't know any similar simple expression for such an activity.

:)
    Hermione

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    What does it mean, Hermione? It's only fine if people know what it means. I know about Dr Brainstorm, of course.

P.S. I see that it's there as a verb in the WR dictionary, but it's not in M-W.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. julytree New Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    in daily work we use the word 'brainstorm' or 'brainstorming' quite often, however in my impression 'brainstorm' is an intransitive verb and 'brainstorming' is a noun. i usually use them like this:
    "We brainstorm for hour in designing the marketing campaign for the new product."
    "a brainstorming session"
    "do some brainstorming"

so i am wondering if it is correct if we say 'brainstorming your ideas'??

7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    You say 'we use', Julytree. Who do you mean by we, in this context? I'd like to know who uses this expression 'in daily work'. It's quite possible that it's better known in China than in the UK, but I think we need to be clear about that.

8. julytree New Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Hi Thomas, I am working in a foreign publishing company, which has employees in many countries (including UK, USA, France, the Netherland, etc). 'we' in my previous post refer to the colleagues in our company, including those based in UK, USA, etc. In our training or team building session, 'brainstorm' or 'brainstorming' were used quite often.

And just out of curiosity, which part of England you are living in?

I had been living in Bristol, England during 2007-2008 and I can remeber that my native classmates and teachers also used these two words. I didn't see people has problem with this so I assumed they are widely used.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    That helps a lot; thank you, Julytree. This confirms my view that it's an expression used in business. When I worked in education, I never heard it, except on the lips of management consultants, who came in to tell us how we could improve our working practices. None of my colleagues used it, I think. Things may be different now.

I live in south-west France.