At work I <develop / am developing> a web application.....

< Previous | Next >

mrquest

Polish
I wonder which form is correct:

At work I <develop / am developing> a web application used for sourcing job applications.

?

• Barque

Tamil
    If you'll go on to other work or are also doing other work, use "am developing".

If you've been engaged specifically for that task, you could use "develop".

lingobingo

English - England
    It depends entirely on what you’re trying to say. Those are two different verb forms, used to express different things.

Simple present, just states a fact:
    I develop web applications = this is my job / this is what I do for a living

Present progressive, describes an action currently in progress:
    I’m developing a web application = this is a project I’m currently working on

mrquest

Polish
    I am an employee and develop that application from 5 years in a company so as I understand you, it is better to use the present simple?

lingobingo

English - England
    I still don’t understand which of those two things you’re trying to say – sorry.

That’s the trouble when you fail to provide any context for your sentence…

lingobingo

English - England
    That doesn’t help either. What precise information are you trying to convey? Saying (a) what your job involves, in general, and (b) what kind of project you are working on at the moment are two different things. Note the difference in tenses used to explain them.

mrquest

Polish
    OK lingobingo, I think I understand :) :p

I am a computer programmer -> I develop web applications (I do it for living).
    In my current company I am developing a web application used for sourcing job applications. (Maybe in future I will change a company and I will be developing some other web application)

< Previous | Next >