at work- people at a lower and higher position

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ladybugEnglishFan, Feb 27, 2012.

  1. ladybugEnglishFan Senior Member

    What do you call a person at work that is at a higher position than you (a supervisor?) and at a lower position ? Are there special names for them?
  2. sdgraham

    sdgraham Senior Member

    Oregon, USA
    USA English
    What do you mean by "a higher position?" Many people in the work place are at a higher pay grade or title without supervising anybody.
  3. DocPenfro

    DocPenfro Senior Member

    Little England
    English - British
    People in a higher position (UK usage): commonest term is "manager". Your immediate supervisor is generally referred to as your "line manager" or possibly "team leader" and above them there would be a "senior manager". Informally, you would refer to your "boss".
    If you were a supervisor, you would have "subordinates" who you might refer to as your "staff" or "team".
  4. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    PS: What do you call a person at work that who is at in a higher position than you (a supervisor?) and at in a lower position?
  5. ladybugEnglishFan Senior Member

    Thanks. Subordinate is a word I was searching for. I guess someone in a higher position I would call manager, evenm if he is not the head of the company and he's got his own manager too, that is in a higher position than him, right?
  6. DocPenfro

    DocPenfro Senior Member

    Little England
    English - British
    'Manager' refers to anybody who is in a supervisory position, so you have 'junior managers', 'middle managers' and 'senior managers'. You have 'office managers' and 'factory managers'. You have managers of football teams. If somebody is referred to simply as 'the manager' of an organisation, this implies that he is number one.
  7. Egmont Senior Member

    Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Yes, that is correct.

    However, the word manager is usually used when the subordinates do not do physical work. The supervisor of factory workers, construction workers, farm workers and so on is not called a manager. The correct term might be "supervisor," "group leader," "foreman," "crew chief" or something else, depending on what the people do.
  8. pwmeek

    pwmeek Senior Member

    SE Michigan, USA
    English - American
    Manager is a description of a specific position or function. For a generic term equivalent to subordinates, may I suggest superiors. (In the sense of above me in rank, rather than better in some way)
  9. JulianStuart

    JulianStuart Senior Member

    Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I agree with the suggestion of "superior" as someone higher in rank - but it has a similar connotation to "subordinate" in the sense that both imply a chain of reporting relationship. This may or may not be what the original questioner envisaged. Someone at a lower "rank" (pay grade, for example) may not report to you either directly or indirectly - they may even be in another department (similarly for superiors, up the chain of reporting structure). If the issue is purely about being higher or lower on some scale, one might use the word senior and junior as in "He is my junior" or "She is my senior" when it is clear that the particular scale is being referred to; or simply he is below me and she is above me on X scale.

Share This Page