attachés des compétences – aussi bien sur le fond que dans le domaine du lobbying

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by mexico2005, Aug 27, 2007.

1. mexico2005 Member

English
    Hi, I have translated a sentence but I am not sure I have captured the meaning. Can anyone help me with some suggestions? The original sentence is: "Ses concepteurs se sont attachés des compétences – aussi bien sur le fond que dans le domaine du lobbying" (Talking about a new organization for the protection of the rights of black people in France)

I have translated it as follows but am not sure it's correct: "Its creators applied themselves to particular tasks, both in terms of getting to the root of the problem and lobbying".

2. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    No, I'm afraid not - se sont attaché des compétences means that they hired / picked up the people that had the resources (competences) they needed.

3. mexico2005 Member

English
    Really? So how could this sentence be translated within this context?

Its creators networked with xxx?

4. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    Maybe its creator brought experts / expertise / help from outside - both in the core skills and in the lobbying angle ?