attached with instruction manual

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, I just read this paragraph on other site:

Owing to my poor psychological and physiological condition, I was very sorry for having been unable to keep the appointment as scheduled, but temporarily decided to rest at home. I felt guilty for you and Nancy; please for give me.

P.S The digital camera and its transmission line (attached with instruction manual) are enclosed.

Does the part highlighted sound right to you? Someone said it's okay, but the usage I have ever learned was attached to. Which is right?

Thanks.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    The entire text is a bit peculiar. I agree that "attached to" sounds more natural. If I read "attached with X" I would expect "Y is attached with (together with / along with) X to Z." In other words, "Y and X are attached together to Z."

Or "attached with masking tape to the wall," perhaps.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    The entire text is a bit peculiar. I agree that "attached to" sounds more natural. If I read "attached with X" I would expect "Y is attached with (together with / along with) X to Z." In other words, "Y and X are attached together to Z."

Or "attached with masking tape to the wall," perhaps.
    Hi, bibliolept
    Thank you and if you use peculiar to mean foreign English, I agree with you because it's written by non-natives.

Vinlander

Canada, American English (mostly)
    Hi, I just read this paragraph on other site:

Does the part highlighted sound right to you? Someone said it's okay, but the usage I have ever learned was attached to. Which is right?

Thanks.
    Clumsy, but it can be made sense of with better punctuation. "The digital camera and its transmission line (attached, with instruction manual) are enclosed." That is, what is enclosed is the digital camera along with its transmission line (that happens to be attached to the camera) along with the instruction manual.

Vinlander

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Clumsy, but it can be made sense of with better punctuation. "The digital camera and its transmission line (attached, with instruction manual) are enclosed." That is, what is enclosed is the digital camera along with its transmission line (that happens to be attached to the camera) along with the instruction manual.

Vinlander
    Thank you for your kind correction, Vinlander.

< Previous | Next >