attain/achieve/reach

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

I would like to know if I should use "achieve", "reach", or "attain"?

"Our gated community's leader has a lot of work to do, but he can handle everthing and pulls off things that help our community achieve/reach/attain a new level of development."

Which word would be better to make this sentence sound good?

Thank you

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Oddly enough, all 3 words work in this sentence.

"Reach" has a sense of "go that far". The new road doesn't reach Milltown. But we often say we "reach" goals, and we can reach a new level.

"Achieve" means to accomplish something valuable, or a goal. It is also used for getting to a new level, new rank.

"Attain" can simply mean "get", like "obtain". But it is often used in metaphors like it is here: attain a new level.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Oddly enough, all 3 words work in this sentence.

"Reach" has a sense of "go that far". The new road doesn't reach Milltown. But we often say we "reach" goals, and we can reach a new level.

"Achieve" means to accomplish something valuable, or a goal. It is also used for getting to a new level, new rank.

"Attain" can simply mean "get", like "obtain". But it is often used in metaphors like it is here: attain a new level.
    Thank you, Dojibear!
    But why oddly enough? What's wrong with it?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There is nothing wrong with it. But with 3 "synonyms" and an example sentence, often 1 is unacceptable, 1 is marginally okay, and 1 is clearly a good fit. That is useful in learning how each word is used.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    There is nothing wrong with it. But with 3 "synonyms" and an example sentence, often 1 is unacceptable, 1 is marginally okay, and 1 is clearly a good fit. That is useful in learning how each word is used.
    But you first said "oddly enough" and then that any of the three words can be used... I am confused. What are you referring to?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I rarely "refer to" things. Usually, I say what I mean.

It seemed odd to me, that all 3 "synonyms" could be used in this sentence, and gave the sentence the same meaning.

It seemed odd. So I said "oddly enough".

ElenaEstela

Spanish-Spain
    Hi!

Is " to reach" correct in this sentence?

Key competences constitute a fundamental element in our curriculum and determines which are the essential learnings students must acquire in order to reach their personal, social and professional development adapted to the demands of our globalized world.

Thank you!

< Previous | Next >