attain analysis tools

renoirbleu

South Korea, Korean
Hello,

I would like to confirm if the verb 'attain' goes along with the objective 'analysis tools.' If not, could you please kindly suggest me other verb to replace ?

Thanks !

• owlman5

English-US
    You can certainly use "attain" with "analysis tools" if you understand the meaning: We hope to attain new analysis tools (tools for analysis) soon. Grammatically, this sentence is OK as long as you wish to say: We hope to achieve new analysis tools soon.

I'm tempted to believe that you really mean: We hope to develop/acquire analysis tools. That sounds more ordinary than "attaining" analysis tools. Remember: use "attain" as a synonym for "achieve" or "accomplish". It's not a synonym for "acquire, obtain, get".

Last edited:

renoirbleu

South Korea, Korean
    would it be still okay when 'tools' in this context mean abilities to analyze certain topics ? I mean the tools here are abstract.

owlman5

English-US
    I'd still favor "develop" or "acquire" here, even for abstract tools. Now if you really want to emphasize that the tools are the product of some long intellectual struggle, then saying "attain" makes some sense. It will always sound unusual with the term "analysis tools": We attained nuclear fusion after months of experimenting. = We achieved/accomplished nuclear fusion after months of experimenting.

< Previous | Next >