1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

atteignent en même temps leur maturité sexuelle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Avignonaddict, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    Hello,

I am having trouble understanding this sentence, and I'm not even sure which bit is confusing me the most!
    The original text, about the European sturgeon, says:

L’Esturgeon ne se reproduit pas avant une douzaine d’années, le temps qu’il a fallu pour que des poissons des deux sexes atteignent en même temps leur maturité sexuelle en 2007, et réussir au CEMAGREF la deuxième reproduction artificielle depuis 1995.

The best I've managed so far is:

The sturgeon does not reproduce before it reaches around twelve years of age, the time needed in 2007 for fish of both sexes to reach their sexual maturity at the same time, and for CEMAGREF to succeed in the second artificial reproduction since 1995.

I feel as if I've perhaps gone too far away from the original but I can't work out what else it means.

Help, please.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    The first artificial reproduction of sturgeons occurred in 1995. The sturgeons thus reproduced had to be 12 years old for their reproduction to succeed in 2007.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    Ah, I see. Thank you so much.

(By the way the fish is a 'sturgeon' - a 'surgeon' is 'un chirurgien' :D)

4. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    It would be quite an economic feat to reproduce surgeons artificially...:D
    I will make changes...

5. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I am inclined to believe that this means: to reach sexual maturity

6. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    So am I, david314, [...]
    I think Gil has explained the sentence rather well, however, which is what I needed.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008