attempts to impose the East-mark, the blockade?

< Previous | Next >
  • Matching Mole

England, English
    This may be referring to the annexation of Austria (Anschluss) by the Nazis. The Nazis wanted to obliterate the Austrian identity and called if for a time Ostmark (Eastmark), or the Eastern Marches in more literal English. It was further renamed Alpen-Donau-Reichsgaue to entirely get rid of the association of Austria, as Ostmark is another way of saying Österreich (Austria in German).

However, perhaps it's something else, as it is referring to Soviet Union, perhaps someone who knows a little bit more about the aftermath of WWII might know better than I do.

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    What a complicated history it is! :)
    I think I need to learn much more about history.
    Thank you, Matching Mole.

se16teddy

English - England
    In these four decades, as I have said, you Berliners have built a great city. You've done so in spite of threats -- the Soviet attempts to impose the East-mark, the blockade...
    I think Reagan is referring to the East German mark or Ostmark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_German_Mark. I don't think the Soviets could be accused of trying to impose the Ostmark in Matching Mole's sense. Reagan may be referring to the fact that the East German (and Soviet) authorities insisted on an exchange rate of 1 (West German) Deutschmark to 1 East German mark, though the East German mark had much less spending power. This meant that West Berliners visiting their relatives in East Berlin were effectively subjected to a huge tax on any money they wanted to spend (or give) in the East.

Brioche

Australia English
    Ost Mark here definitely refers to the East German Currency.

In 1948 the Deutsche Mark [DM] was introduced to the US, British and French Zones of occupation in Germany. When the DM was introduced to West Berlin, the Soviet authorities cut off all road, rail and canal access to West Berlin - this was the Berlin Blockade.

cirrus

UK English
    It wasn't just the money but the Soviet fear that the western sector of Germany would become ever more linked with the US, France and the UK also triggered this.

However given that the speech in question talks about 4 decades of imposing the East Mark we can be fairly certain it isn't a direct reference to the blockade.

< Previous | Next >