attended the gathering/meeting

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Movie stars and other celebrities attended the gathering.

If I use "attended the meeting" to replace the underlined part, would I change the original meaning? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English

If I use "attended the meeting" to replace the underlined part, would I change the original meaning? Thanks.
    Well, a "gathering" could be anything, QD. It could be a charity concert, a picnic, or any number of other things. What is the context for which you want to call it a "meeting"?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    Now I get the gathering part, but doesn't "meeting" sometimes include the meaning of gathering for the similar purposes?
    No, a "meeting" is usually for business purposes. When I say "business", I mean that the meeting is to accomplish some business. For example, I currently volunteer with an educational society for seniors. We have regular meetings to accomplish society business. Meetings are usually called in order to proceed with some business or other. It entirely depends on what the gathering is and what its purpose is as to whether you can call it a meeting or not. A "gathering", for example, could be where a lot of people get together to raise money for a good cause. That's not a "meeting".

Txiri

USA English

Yes, you would. A gathering can be as vague as a social event, but people have meetings in order to accomplish something specific.

< Previous | Next >