attention (pronunciation)

ildego

spain spanish
Hi everyone. I have recently heard this word pronounced like " question", or so at least it seemed to me.Then i coudnt confirm this in the dictionaries i have looked up the word.Can anybody please help me out with this.
Thanks in advance.

• steemic

English (US)
    The "chen" sound at the end is the same yes (at least here in the U.S.).
    It is not aten-tzee-own like you know it in spanish. For us tion is more of a chen sound.

ildego

spain spanish
    The "chen" sound at the end is the same yes (at least here in the U.S.).
    It is not aten-tzee-own like you know it in spanish. For us tion is more of a chen sound.

¡Great! As i had supposed it was, there is a "chen" at the end. Maybe the pronunciation " /əˈtenʃən/ in the dictionaries is british.

Thank you very much STEEMIC!!!!!

JennyTW

English - UK
    No, you're right. That's the correct phonemic transcription. It's more like "shen" ( but with the schwa vowel) than "chen". A lot of Americans pronounce it with "Shen" too.

steemic

English (US)
    No, you're right. That's the correct phonemic transcription. It's more like "shen" ( but with the schwa vowel) than "chen". A lot of Americans pronounce it with "Shen" too.
    Here it is a pronounced "ch" without any question. Definitely not "shen".
    We tend to pronounce things a bit stronger here in the northeast, and in some cases have a tendency to shorten phonetic sounds, so perhaps it is only in this area but to be honest I've only heard it this way.
    I would imagine a british accent would perhaps have a different ring with a word like this.

Sprache

English/inglés
    I pronounce it like /əˈtɛn.tʃən/, i.e. with what I perceive to be a chen sound. In fact, it's kind of hard for me to pronounce it with shen. But the only phonemic transcription that I can seem to find is /əˈtɛn.ʃən/, even though I never hear it that way here.

JennyTW

English - UK
    Ah right. That was going to be my next question - when do you pronounce "tion"one way or another? How do you say it in;

caution, caption, fraction, mention?

< Previous | Next >