attested vs certified copy

< Previous | Next >

doveric

Chinese
I wish to know the difference between "attested copy" and "certified copy" in the legal context: Is there a difference between a document that is certified to be correct or attested to be correct?

Someone told me "attested" means certified by a trusted authority such as government official while certified only means someone certified the document who may not be trustworthy at all.

Any clues?

• Retired-teacher

British English
    I think this question needs to be answered by someone competent in legal matters in the country concerned.

Because I am not a legally qualified person they sound the same to me.

Andygc

British English
    An attested document is one that has been confirmed to be genuine. A certified document is a copy of an original document that has been confirmed as being an accurate copy of that original document. It does not prove that the original is genuine. This has nothing to do with the trustworthiness of the person signing the attestation or certificate.

hhtt

Turkish
    An attested document is one that has been confirmed to be genuine. A certified document is a copy of an original document that has been confirmed as being an accurate copy of that original document. It does not prove that the original is genuine. This has nothing to do with the trustworthiness of the person signing the attestation or certificate.
    Would you please explain the difference via an example from famous pictures of painters ?

Thank you.

Andygc

British English

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    As I understand the terms:

Formally - in legal terms - a copy, of a document containing a statement by the author, is attested by a further statement that must have a signature and/or was given under oath (usually, in the UK, witnessed/administered by a Commissioner of Oaths, if they still exist.)

Formally - in legal terms - a copy, usually of a document containing any statement, is certified by a further statement from a witness to the act of copying. The certification may be done by anyone, but for obvious reasons a solicitor or other responsible person is usually chosen.

Neither attesting nor certifying has any bearing on the veracity of the original from which the copy was taken.

(I suspect, but would have to look up, that attesting falsely leads directly to a potential criminal offence - probably perjury or something similar, whereas certifying falsely probably leads to civil action and possibly charges of conspiracy and deception.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >