Attitude towards/of improvement

< Previous | Next >

KoichiCL

Spanish
Hi all

I'm trying to unite the words Kaizen and Shisei in an effort to conceptualize a 'attitude towards improvement' or a person who has an attitude in which he always tries to improve whatever he is doing

As far as i know Shisei kaizen means 'improvement of the posture' :thumbsdown:
so... Kaizen shisei would mean 'attitude towards improvement'???
:confused:

• Wishfull

Japanese
    改善する姿勢 kaizen suru shisei
    改善しようとする姿勢 kaizen shiyoutosuru shisei
    常に改善しようとする姿勢 tuneni kaizen shiyoutosuru shisei
    常に改善しようと努力する姿勢 tuneni kaizen shiyoutosuru shisei
    改善を求める姿勢 kaizen wo motomeru shisei
    改善を試みる姿勢 kaizen wo kokoromiru shisei
    改善を心がける姿勢 kaizen wo kokorogakeru shisei
    might be your answer.

akimura

Japanese
    so... Kaizen shisei would mean 'attitude towards improvement'???
    :confused:
    I think Wishfull has already had it well covered. Rather than simply combining two words into one, constructing some kind of subject-predicate relationship is more likely the way for me to go, too.

I still wanted to note that your 改善姿勢 (kaizen shisei) could work as well depending on the context.

Example sentences:
    彼には改善姿勢が見られない。
    彼女には改善姿勢が見られる。

Also, I can imagine that 改善姿勢 would be found in a column title of your work-performance evaluation table.

Last edited:

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Sorry but I don't think 改善 and 姿勢 have been used together often enough to make a new word by merging, 改善姿勢. To my mind, 姿勢 as a suffix is more closely associated with physical posture than willingness to do something (e.g., 前傾姿勢).

A more suitable suffix for attitude is 志向. I have not seen 改善志向 in actual usage, but I think it is plausible enough a word.

Last edited:

akimura

Japanese
    Sorry but I don't think 改善 and 姿勢 have been used together often enough to make a new word by merging, 改善姿勢.
    Mmm, it may be true that 改善姿勢 hasn't been used together often enough. But at least it worked to my ears. Also, there are a few, if not many, articles out there on the Web, published from the authoritative Nikkei Shimbun newspaper, where they do use 改善姿勢. You can easily find some if you use "改善姿勢" and "日経新聞" as keywords. Most of all, 改善 and 姿勢 are the words that the original poster Koichi found himself.

It's only my personal view, but all of these alone just seem to be good enough reasons that I would encourage Koichi to go with his original construction 改善姿勢, whereas all the other suggestions are definitely meaningful for him, and even for myself, to further broaden our knowledge and skills in Japanese.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Good call, Akimiura. I performed a Google search with the following option;
    site:nikkei.com "改善姿勢"
    , where site predicate limits the range of search to the Nikkei Web site.

Most hits are due to links or mentions to a page titled:
    中国は「警戒論」を意識 対日改善姿勢アピール :日本経済新聞

I hesitate to base my judgement on a headline because they usually take out necessary particles there for want of space.

KoichiCL

Spanish
    Having read all of your replies i think that 改善姿勢 is actually the way to go since I'm trying to put this idea in the shortest way possible.

By the way, my idea is to use this in an english and/or spanish context. I'm writing an article on human performance and i want to be able to say things like "...so we could say that Kaizen Shisei is a key component of high performance..." and stuff like that.

Thank you all ;)

< Previous | Next >