attrape-nigaud

• Kelly B

USA English
    Booby trap, probably, but please provide a complete sentence or an explanation of what you'd like to say, so we can see whether it fits.

sircrispin

Cardiff (Wales), English
    No, a booby trap is a piège, in the style of Indiana Jones and the like. Here I believe attrape-nigaud is implying that it's something run by a con-artist. The only thing I can think of right now is "tourist-trap", but I'm sure there's another expression that's not specific to tourists...

madolo

No, a booby trap is a piège, in the style of Indiana Jones and the like. Here I believe attrape-nigaud is implying that it's something run by a con-artist. The only thing I can think of right now is "tourist-trap", but I'm sure there's another expression that's not specific to tourists...
    "attrape-touriste" works in French

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    My € 2 cents ;): A klutz-trap, a muppet's web?

I don't think we have a ready-made idiom such as "attrape-nigaud"; at any rate it is as old as the hills, and hardly used anymore in France :)confused:).
    A contemporary version would be a "piège à cons", an "attrape-couillon", "attrape-godiche", etc

PS: Muppet is BE colloquial: muppet Noun. An idiot, an objectionable person.

Last edited:

madorrad

USA-English
    This wonderfully colorful word appears in the novel L'Opium et le Baton by Mouloud Mammeri in its first few pages. "Toute la beaute d'Alger est un attrape-nigauds, une mystification."

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Hi, I think you could say it is a hoax.
    A hoax isn't quite the right word, Grop--it suggests a scheme of sorts, propagated by people who want to fool you. Un canular

I think the author here is describing the alluring quality of Algiers, which then is disappointing when one scratches the surface.

One can be easily suckered/taken in by the beauty of Algiers

Algiers' beauty is but a mirage (a bit more standard language)

Last edited:

Grop

français
    A hoax isn't quite the right word, Grop--it suggests a scheme of sorts, propagated by people who want to fool you.
    I wasn't well conscious of this (hoax as an *intended* fallacy). However I think attrappe-nigaud also suggests someone (tourism industry?) is being dishonest.

Cedra

French - Belgium
    Yes, Grop ! "Attrape-nigaud" implies an intention of fooling someone.
    If there is no idiomatic translation in English, the context would be essential, I think. Can Av16Ar provide it?

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    The most common expression in my bit of the world for this is "a con" as in "a confidence-trick" e.g. "Tory promises are just a con."

< Previous | Next >